Finished Books

Wednesday, September 17, 2014


Over the summer, I read The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. This book was one of the most intriguing books I have ever read, once I got into it. The time period caught my attention because the narrator, Nick, often talks about the big and raging parties that Gatsby hosts. Nick is drawn to Gatsby's lifestyle and being, in a way that fascinated me. When I started read The Great Gatsby, I was expecting to follow Gatsby's life. When Gatsby was not yet introduced, I was confused by the connection between the title and the story. Later on in the story, I understood Gatsby through the eyes of Nick, which showed me the connection.

The parts of the book that really made me feel were the interactions between Gatsby and Daisy. From the beginning of the book and carrying on throughout the duration of most of the story, Daisy seems very innocent. When she is reunited with Gatsby, there is a little spark that goes off in her and she is suddenly courageous and free. When I learned about their past, I focused even more on their relationship and saw how vulnerable yet strong it was. There is such a passion for love between them that easily falls apart at moments. In these moments, I felt for Daisy and Gatsby. There are many things that you can have at one moment that are gone in just a matter of seconds, and leaves you with a feeling of emptiness.

I think that this book is called The Great Gatsby because that is who catches Nick's interest. Jay Gatsby is a potent character who inspires Nick. Nick follows Gatsby's lifestyle from afar at first, and then when Gatsby draws him in, he has a first hand account. I think that this shows that Gatsby was aware of Nick's fascination with him and owns up to the honor. Also, I think that Gatsby is unaware of Nick's relationship with Daisy when they first interact and when they are reunited, I think there is also a spark that goes off in him, that shows his loving side. This changes the course of the story.

From this story, I have not only gained more knowledge of the time period, but knowledge of deep connections. The relationships in this book showed me what it really meant to understand another person and feel with them. Of course, these things occurred somewhat differently in the roaring 20's than they do now, but I was able to connect the two and learn.








No comments:

Post a Comment